For all press enquiries please contact:
Tel: + 32 (0)2 500 10 34
Media release: "SOLIDAR Silver Rose Awards 2008 - Winners"
15 September 2008, Brussels - SOLIDAR* is delighted to announce the Silver Rose Awards winners 2008, which this year will be awarded at an extra-special ceremony also celebrating SOLIDAR’s 60th Anniversary:
International Solidarity Category: Syndicate of Workers of Teheran and Suburbs Bus Company (Syndica Sherkat-e Vahed), Iran
An Iranian trade union leading a courageous struggle for the respect of workers’ rights and social justice
European Social Justice Category: Globetree, Sweden
A Swedish NGO working to promote children’s rights and a sustainable future for children
Confirmed speakers include Margot Wallström, Vice-President of the European Commission, Guy Ryder, Secretary General of the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC), Martin Schultz, President of the Socialist Group in the European Parliament, Poul Nyrup Rasmussen, President of the Party of European Socialists (PES) and Zita Gurmai, MEP and President of PES Women.
Launched in 2000, the Silver Rose Awards highlight the achievements of exceptional people and organisations who dedicate their work to social justice. Past winners include Réseau Education Sans Frontières (2007), Tarja Hallonen (2006 – President of Finland), Juan Somavia (2005 – Director of ILO), Sudan Organisation Against Torture (2006) and Morgan Tsvangirai (2001 – opposition leader in Zimbabwe).
This year the prestigious Silver Rose Awards Ceremony will be held in conjunction with SOLIDAR’s 60th anniversary celebrations on Wednesday 15 October at 19.30. The event, hosted by Harlem Désir MEP and Ieke van den Burg MEP, will take place in the Members Dining Room of the European Parliament in Brussels and will celebrate 60 years of a movement, 60 years of history, 60 years of solidarity: http://www.solidar.org/ or firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information on SOLIDAR
- More information on Silver Rose Awards & SOLIDAR’s 60th Anniversary
- More information on Silver Rose winners
- Silver Rose Awards 2008 and SOLIDAR 60th Anniversary logo
To arrange interviews with winners or speakers:
Abigail Goundry, Communications Officer
*SOLIDAR is a European network of 47 NGOs and labour movement organisations working towards our vision of all people around the world being able to live in dignity. SOLIDAR promotes the principles of solidarity, equality and social justice in the fields of social affairs, international cooperation and education. For more information www.solidar.org
Short info on winners
- Syndica Sherkat-e Vahed, established in 1968, is an Iranian trade union that has been leading a courageous struggle in Iran for the respect of workers’ rights and social justice, regardless of intimidation by employers and authorities. Their struggle has become an example for other organisations in Iran to stand up for basic human rights for workers, leading towards more democracy in the workplace and direct participation by workers. In turn, this is helping to improve the general social conditions in the country.
Nominated by the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) and the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF)
- Globetree, founded in 1982, unites children in caring for the world and supports initiatives at local, national and international level among schools, organisations, and companies. The aim of Globetree is to develop a future for children and youth which is in harmony with the sustainability of nature, and provides space for different artistic expressions enriched by cultural exchange.
Nominated by Margot Wallström